New Clients

We always request that new clients provide our office with the previous year’s return, which will be reviewed at no charge.  If we determine that an Amended Return will result in tax savings, we will provide an explanation and estimate of fees prior to completing the Amended Return.

What is needed if I’m coming from a different accountant?

Please see our fee schedule. We are happy to provide an estimated fee upon review of paperwork.

What is your fee?

General FAQs

Yes, we are familiar with tax law in all fifty states.  Our clientele includes taxpayers from coast to coast.  At the end of each year, we send a reminder to all current clients.  Our clients then gather all required materials and information and mail it to our office.  We complete the return, provide draft for review, and mail the entire package back to you as soon as completed.  You can complete our Checklist online and print to send it with your documents.

I don’t live nearby. Can you prepare my taxes? 

If you are due a refund on your return, penalties are normally not charged.  You must file your return within three years of the due date to protect any expected refund.

  • If you owe taxes, there may be a penalty and interest due on your tax liability.  The sooner you file, the lower these additional costs may be.  Payment plans are also available. We can also help with requests to reduce or eliminate penalty charges.

I didn’t file my return for this year, and it’s past the deadline.  Will I owe a penalty?

Yes.  We can prepare your Federal, California, New Jersey, New York State and New York City returns.

Last year I moved from California to New Jersey.  I worked in California and New York City.  Can you help?

Send us a copy of the IRS  notices, along with the tax return in question and any supporting information you may have.  We will contact you before we work through the information and help resolve any questions with an IRS representative.

If you are a new client and have not filed with us in the past, please call our office so we can direct you on next steps.

Help!  I just received a notice from the IRS and my accountant has retired and moved out of state.  What do I do now?

Our Financial Planner will be happy to review your current and future tax situation to ensure you are on track with a sound financial plan.  We will be able to review your information, discuss your finances and help you build a plan that will meet your individual needs. Withholding adjustments can be made at any time.

My current situation has changed:  I just got married or had a baby; I got a promotion or a big bonus/commission this year; We bought a house.  How can I make sure that my tax with holdings are right and I won’t owe the IRS on April 15?

2018 Changes & Updates

The IRS has released the annual tax inflation adjustments that will be in effect for the 2018 tax year, please see below for the most relevant changes and deductions:

● Contribution limit for employees in 401(k), 403(b) and most 457s increases to $19,000 (under age 50), $25,000 for those 50 and over
● IRA maximum contribution increases to $6,000 (under age 50), $7,000 for those 50 and over
● Annual gift exclusion remains at $15,000
● Basic estate exclusion for 2019 decedents increases to $11,400,000

Here are miscellaneous eliminated deductions:
• IRA custodial fees
• Investment advisory fees
• Tax Preparation and Financial Planning fees
• Safe deposit box charges
• Estate planning expenses
• Miscellaneous investment expenses such as travel to shareholder meetings, publications, guidebooks, software

Here are alimony changes that will go in effect:

● Alimony is no longer tax-deductible for the payer for divorces finalized after 1/1/19
● Alimony is no longer taxed as income for the recipient
● Only NEW AGREEMENTS completed after 2018 are affected
● Tax treatments of current agreements OR those made before year-end continue to follow the old rules

Please note, every personal or business return is unique, and changes vary by state so please contact our office if you have any questions.

What changes did the IRS implement for the 2018 tax year?

Refunds & Payments

Direct Deposit: Your refund can be directly deposited in your bank account, generally within 7-10 days of acceptance by the IRS.  The tax preparation charges must be paid prior to electronic filing. There is no additional charge for direct deposit or electronic filing.

Paper Check Mailed: Your refund will be mailed directly to you generally in 3 - 4 weeks of acceptance by the IRS.  The tax preparation charges must be paid prior to electronic filing.

Please note, payments to our office CAN NOT be taken out of your refund.

How can I receive my refund?

Follow us on Facebook for tax-related answers to FAQs and latest news.